A little about me…
I used to be a doctor. I spent 21 years working happily in the British NHS with some great colleagues…and then resigned so that I could do what I love doing best – painting.
Which is, of course, a completely mad thing to do.
That was ten years ago, although I’d been painting and selling work for a decade before that.
I’ve now sold work throughout the UK, Europe, Asia, Australia and America. I was delighted to win the Art and Industry award for ‘Best Depiction of the Living World’ in 2014 and to be a finalist in David Shepherd’s international search for a ‘Wildlife Artist of the Year’ in 2012. I am doing a fair amount of teaching (which I love!) and I’ve written chapters on painting wildlife in two books, with step-by-step instructions, for an American publisher.
But getting out in the great outdoors, recording what I see in paint, and introducing others to our beautiful natural world, is still the best thing in the world.
Toni Watts – CV
- Fine Art Trade Guild – Guild Artists Exhibition 2014
- Royal Society of Miniature Painters, Sculptors and Gravers 2012, 2013 Mall Galleries, London; catalogue.
- British Birdwatching Fair 2005 – 2013
- David Shepherd Wildlife Artist of the Year 2012 Mall Galleries, London and Shalford, Surrey.
- Lincolnshire Open Studios 2005 – 2014
- Society of Women Artists 2005 – 2009 Mall Galleries, London; catalogue.
- ‘How to Paint Wildlife in Acrylic’ in The Art of Painting in Acrylic (Minnesota: Walter Foster Publishing) 2014
- Wild Animals: Trace Line Art Onto Paper or Canvas, and Color or Paint Your Own Masterpieces (Minnesota: Walter Foster Publishing) 2015
- ‘Using Acrylic’ in The Art of Painting Animals (Minnesota: Walter Foster Publishing) 2015
- Fine Art Trade Guild
- Association of Animal Artists
- Art and Framing Industry award – Fine Art Trade Guild ‘Best Depiction of the Living World’ 2014
- Finalist David Shepherd Wildlife Artist of the Year 2012
- Christopher Parsons Award for Artistic Excellence 2005
- Best Bird Painting – Wildscape Wildlife Artist of the Year 2004
Recent Education, Qualifications:
- ‘Simply Oils’ with Martin Kinnear, April 2014
- Making a traditional gesso panel with David Cranswick, March 2014
- Prince’s School of Traditional Arts February 2014 The Flemish Technique with David Cranswick.
- Prince’s School of Traditional Arts Janauary 2014 The Alchemy of Paint: The Transformation of Earth, Rocks, Roots and Berries into Pigments with David Cranswick.
- Society of Scribes and Illuminators course commenced November 2013
- Prince’s School of Traditional Arts 2013 Art of the Arabesque with Amber Khokar
- Calligraphy tuition with Janet Smith 2012 – 2013
- Prince’s School of Traditional Arts 2012 Advanced Medieval Manuscript Illumination
- Prince’s School of Traditional Arts 2011 Medieval Manuscript Illumination
- Prince’s School of Traditional Arts 2011 Indian Miniature Painting
- Podere Siliano Alto, Italy 2010 Icon Painting workshop
- Open University M.A. Art History – current
- Open University 2012 B.A. Hons. (First Class) Humanities with Art History and Classical Studies
- Royal College of General Practitioners 1988 MRCGP
- University of Leicester 1984 MBChB